The Oregon Fish & Wildlife Report
…brought to you by BASIN GLASS & ALUMINUM
1317 East Main St., Klamath Falls
ODFW Recreation Report
October 10th, 2019
Zone 1 duck hunting opens this Saturday
With the opening of westside duck hunting on Oct. 12, duck, pheasant, chukar, CA quail and forest grouse will be open statewide.
General deer season takes a break for elk
General season Cascade elk opens this Saturday, Oct. 12. The Cascade buck season will close on Oct. 11 and reopen on Oct. 19.
Best bets for the weekend fishing
Coho and trout offer some of the best opportunities for weekend fishing.
- Fall Chinook is still the heavy-hitter in mid-coast fisheries. With the drier weather, most fish are still staging in tidewater and the fishing should be good.
- Adult steelhead fishing continues to be good throughout the middle Rogue with spinners and flies bringing in some nice large fish.
- Coho passage at Willamette Falls continues to build – these fish are arriving in the Sandy and Clackamas rivers now.
- Detroit Reservoir has been stocked with over 6,000 trophy trout in the past two weeks, and the cooler fall temperatures have probably put these fish on the bite.
- In Chickahominy Reservoir, recent sampling suggests there is plenty of trout available in the 17- to 21-inch range.
- Fly-fishing in the Blitzen River has been good with anglers catching some nice redbands up to 16-inches.
- Fall can offer some of the best trout fishing of the year in Oregon’s hike-in lakes – the mosquitoes are gone, so are many of the hikers, and fish are feeding heavily in preparation for the upcoming winter.