Oregon law requires nearly anyone who alters a structure or builds a home to be licensed by the Construction Contractors Board. This includes handymen, plumbers, electricians, pavers, and remodelers.
Why is it important to hire licensed contractors?
- You can look up 10 years of history on any contractor’s license.
- The CCB offers dispute resolution services to homeowners in dispute with their licensed contractor.
- Licensed contractors must pass a test on Oregon laws and rules and are required to have liability insurance and a bond.
Before signing a contract or hiring a contractor, ask for their CCB number. Verify it’s active on our website at http://search.ccb.state.or.us/search/.
Home improvement projects can get complicated. CCB’s guide, Selecting and Working with a Contractor can help you throughout the process. In the guide you’ll learn:
- How to find and select a contractor
- What to expect in the bidding process
- How to negotiate a contract
- Benefits of using licensed contractors
- Dangers of using unlicensed contractors
- How (and why!) to verify a contractor’s license
- What you need to know about building permit