Klamath Basin News, Tuesday, Dec. 10 – Millions Approved For Oregon Clean Drinking Water And Infrastructure Projects by U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

The latest Klamath Falls News around the Klamath Basin and the state of Oregon from Wynne Broadcasting’s KFLS News/Talk 1450AM/102.5FM, BasinLife.com and The Herald & News.

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 10, 2019

Klamath Basin Weather

Today
A 30 percent chance of rain after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42. Overnight, a chance of rain before 10pm, then a chance of showers after 10pm. Snow level 4800 feet, with a low around 33.  Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Wednesday
A 30 percent chance of rain after 4pm. Snow level 5100 feet. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44.  Overnight rain expected with a snow level around 5800 feet lowering to 5200 feet. Low around 33. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Thursday
Rain likely, mainly after 10am. Snow level 6100 feet. Cloudy, with a high near 42. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Friday
A chance of showers. Snow level 4800 feet rising to 5500 feet. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44.

Today’s Headlines

The Klamath County Public Health Air Advisory is Yellow until noon today.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency today announced it has approved funding to support Oregon’s $35 million plan for key drinking water projects and $190 million plan to improve wastewater and irrigated agriculture infrastructure, to restore streams, and to address nonpoint source pollution including a project in Klamath Falls.

The sources of funding for Oregon’s Drinking Water State Revolving Fund Intended Use Plan include an $14.4 million grant from EPA (of which $9.4 million is available for projects), $2.8 million in state matching funds, along with interest earnings and repayments from previous DWSRF loans. Similarly, the sources of funding for Oregon’s Clean Water State Revolving Fund Intended Use Plan include a $17.9 million grant from EPA, $3.5 million in state matching funds, along with $168 million in interest earnings and repayments from previous CWSRF loans.

Projects approved under the plan include $38.8 million to Klamath Falls to design and construct the Spring Street Sewage Treatment Plant Upgrade. The project will help protect fish and aquatic life, improve infrastructure and meet future NPDES permit requirements for public health and water quality.

Klamath County Sheriff’s Office Jail Commander Lt. Brian Bryson has been awarded Jail Commander of the year honors by the Oregon State Sheriffs’ Association at a banquet in Bend.

Lt. Bryson was selected for the award for his efforts to improve safety of personnel, and overall conditions in the jail. These efforts included leading an overhaul of control panels within the jail that were in dire condition after years of neglect. Lt. Bryson has improved working relationships with every entity connected to the jail. The result is a mutually beneficial stable of programs that reduce jail populations, improved mental health treatment throughout the entire community, enhanced prosecutor’s capabilities, and improved conditions for both inmates and the employee workforce.

Because of Lt. Bryson’s leadership the county now has a robust Pre-Trial Release Program; medical capabilities at the jail have tripled and the jail facility has improved so much that the first jail inspection in ten years was completed successfully.

The Coastal Farm and Ranch store at 1776 Avalon has teamed up with Wrangler and Justin Boots to bring Santa’s Reindeer to Klamath Falls tomorrow.

The family-friendly event runs from 2-6pm at Coastal and is free and open to the public. Complimentary hot cocoa and snacks will be served. Kids can also write letters to Santa Claus while they’re at the store and Coastal associates will make sure the letters are sent with the reindeer when they return to the North Pole. According to Lori McKinnon, Coastal President. they wanted to do something special for the kids this holiday season, and she thinks they’ve found something that they’re going to love. She hope that seeing these reindeer in person will make everyone’s holiday a little brighter this year. When these reindeer aren’t working with Santa, they can be found at Timberview Farm, located in Springfield, Oregon.

The second annual Wreaths Across America Ceremony will be at Dorris City Hall on December 14th at 10 am.

They will be honoring and remembering the veterans that are laid to rest in Lakeview Cemetery in Macdoel, CA. There will be a full program with the honor guard, special readings, slideshow, and light refreshments afterwards. It is a moving remembrance of the not only the veterans that are resting within the confines of Lakeview Cemetery, but a tribute to the sacrifice veterans from all over our nation have made in order to protect our freedoms and liberties! They are a site location of the national organization of Wreaths Across America. They are very honored to be able to carry out the laying of Christmas wreaths at their local cemetery just like they do in Arlington National Cemetery every December!

It’s the final week for Oregonians who do not get health insurance through their employers and who do not qualify for the Oregon Health Plan to sign up for coverage and get help paying for the coverage.

Chiqui Flowers, administrator of the Oregon Health Insurance Marketplace says It’s a busy time of year but don’t wait until the final hours. There are many health plans to choose from and you’re going to want time to shop for the right one. The Marketplace is a part of state government that helps connect Oregonians to coverage. It partners with HealthCare.gov, the website where people apply for federal subsidies.

Throughout Oregon, between seven and 41 plans are available, depending on your county. People who qualify for subsidies can use that financial help on any plan. Last year, 74 percent of Oregonians who enrolled through the Marketplace got subsidies. The average bottom-line premium for them was $140 per month.

Klamath Falls News from partnership with the Herald and News, empowering the community.

…For complete details on these and other stories see today’s Herald & News.  Wynne Broadcasting and the Herald and News…stronger together to keep you informed.

Back to our BasinLife.com Homepage

Must Read

Klamath Basin News, Wednesday, 12/1 – KF Woman Dies in Car Crash in Wasco County

Brian Casey

Klamath Basin News, Wednesday, 6/23 – Klamath County Moves To Moderate Risk from High Risk Effective This Friday, According to Gov. Brown’s Office

Brian Casey

Klamath Basin News, Wednesday, Sept. 25 – Harmful Chemicals Found at Kingsley Field

Brian Casey