The Oregon Fish & Wildlife Report
…brought to you by BASIN GLASS & ALUMINUM
1317 East Main St., Klamath Falls
ODFW Recreation Report
July 31, 2019
Fall bear season opens Aug. 1
Many hunters consider fall bear season the kickoff of their hunting year. Fall bear will open statewide on Aug. 1. Don’t forget to buy your bear tag before Sept. 27!
Leftover big game tags go on sale Aug. 1 at 10 a.m.
Beginning this year, leftover tags will be available online only. You will not be able to purchase leftover tags at an ODFW office.
Buoy 10 salmon fishery opens this week
The popular Buoy 10 salmon fishery at the mouth of the Columbia River opens Aug. 1 for fall Chinook and hatchery coho. Fishery managers are expecting returns of 350,000 fall Chinook and 611,000 Coho. While Chinook fishing will be restricted beginning Aug. 21, anglers can anticipate good coho fishing through at least mid-September.
Temporary regulations for wild Chinook in coastal rivers
Due to low forecasted returns this year, wild Chinook fishing will be restricted in most coastal rivers. Most of these temporary regulations will be in effect from Aug. 1-Dec. 31, though a few don’t start until Sept. 16 or Oct. 1. Before planning your fishing trip, be sure the check the regulation updates at the top of the NW Zone and SW Zone of the Recreation Report.
Best bets for the weekend fishing
High lakes trout, bass, tuna, and coho are all good bets for the weekend.
- Anglers will continue to find cooler water and better fishing at higher elevation lakes, like Trillium, Harriet and many in Central Oregon.
- Anglers willing to walk a bit should consider a hike to one of the stocked hike-in lakes in the Cascades. Find more information on planning your hike-in fishing trip.
- Bass and other warm water fishing have been good to excellent in waterbodies throughout the state. Check this week’s Recreation Report for some great fishing in your area.
- Albacore tuna are moving close enough to shore for charters and larger boats to go after them. Private boats averaged 5 to 11 fish per person last week.
- Ocean coho remains a bright spot for salmon fishing.