The Oregon Fish & Wildlife Report
…brought to you by BASIN GLASS & ALUMINUM
1317 East Main St., Klamath Falls, Oregon
Call Basin Glass for any glass, storm windows, storm doors, bathroom shower glass, auto glass needs, at 541-884-8196.
February 6, 2020
Highlights from this week’s Recreation Report:
Go Steelhead Fishing This Weekend
The winter steelhead season is well underway. Recent rains have dispersed fish throughout the basins on the coast and in the Willamette Valley. The key to winter fishing is to keep an eye on water levels and fish when they are dropping.
- On the north coast, rain Tuesday night spiked water levels but several rivers should be fishable, if high, by the weekend.
- Fishing has been picking up on the Siletz and Siuslaw, which should be in good shape for the weekend
- On the south coast, check out the Applegate, Illinois, Rogue, and Umpqua for some good weekend fishing.
- In the Willamette Valley, the Sandy and Clackamas may still be running high this weekend, but the Molalla might be just right.
Need a few ideas to hone your steelhead skills? Check out these 10 tips to catch more winter steelhead.
Other good bets for the weekend fishing
Steelhead isn’t the only fish biting. Trout anglers, too, will have good opportunities this weekend.
- Garrison Lake is a good destination for native trout, uncaught hatchery trout, and even a few lunkers, trophy trout!
- The trout bite continues to be good in the Holy Water, the stretch of the upper Rogue between the hatchery and the Lost Creek Lake spillway.
- Cooper Creek Reservoir was stocked with trout last week for a kids’ fishing event. Bet there’s still a few of those fish around.
- A handful of popular destinations in the Willamette Zone are scheduled to be stocked this week.
- Big ole brood trout have been stocked recently in Ochoco Reservoir and the Bend Pine Nursery Pond.
- Most of Thief Valley Reservoir is ice-free and anglers can launch boats from the boat launch (though the dock is not in place).
- Ice conditions, and fishing! have been good at Phillips and Wolf Creek reservoirs.
- Ice fishing on Kinney Lake and Magone Lake has been good. Check out 14 tips for ice fishing in Oregon.
Final days to apply for a spring bear tag
The application deadline is Feb. 10 and the controlled spring black bear season opens April 1.